BillSa

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Some English Speaking Indonesian Kids



When I go to the mall, I notice that there are some minority (because, there are not so many of them) amount of kids speaks English. 
And listen by their parents accent and looking into their family, they're definitely Indonesian family

That makes me wonder, why are these kids speaks English with their parents and siblings?
Some reasoning :
1. They are going to standard school, where lessons conducted in Bahasa Indonesia, so parents encouraged their kids to speak English and create the environment to speak the language at home
2. Parents have been speaking English with their kids ever since they're little, so their kids MIGHT understand Bahasa Indonesia (also might understand only a little bit), and they can't speak only very little - to almost none Bahasa Indonesia.

I think reason number 1 is OK, since it is important for the kids to learn English, but at the same time their kids are capable to speak Bahasa.

But personally, I think it is a pity for an Indonesian kids, who were born and raised and go to school, and live in Indonesia, for not being able to speak Bahasa Indonesia.
I mean, they live here ! And Bahasa Indonesia is the national language.

It is VERY important for these kids to be able to communicate, to speak their mind and ideas using Bahasa.
Only small amount of Indonesian are capable to speak English, and THESE KIDS LIVE in Indonesia !!
(how many times should I repeat those words ?? )

I find it ironic, to live in Indonesia, and not capable to speak the language.
Lots of people live in foreign country and they are struggling to learn the language of the country they lived in to make it easier for them to communicate and to live!

I know a family whose parents are Indonesian (they speak bahasa perfectly, and even can speak Bahasa Jawa!!!), and their kids are all Indonesian passport holder, living in Singapore and kids can't speak Bahasa Indonesia. Well, probably because they will never live in Indonesia, so it is not necessary for them to speak Bahasa.
But, what about those who lived in Indonesia?!?
Never ending question for me.

I wonder what's in these kids' parents mind so that they decided to speak with their kids in foreign language (English or mandarin) and enrolled them to International school (which is most likely to be mostly English speaking school), and not encouraging their kids to speak native language?
I don't know, whatever the reason, they only do what they think is the best for their kids.

I am not against teaching kids foreign languages since they're very little.
I planned to do the same with my kids, but their 1st language should be English, since they'll be living in USA.
I am planning to teach my kids some Bahasa Indonesia, at least they understand the language when they hear it, but my goal is for them to be able to speak. They will be half Indonesian, and they have lots of relatives in Indonesia, it will a good language skill for them.
And probably some basic Chinese, it is necessary, but not priority...Ha Ha Ha...

More than that, I also notice that teenage magazine in Indonesia are also full with Inglish articles, Bahasa Indonesia mixed with English. Trends !

Then, what am I doing here, writing my blog in English ?
Ah, I need to practice my English, and to make it easier for my friends and lover *wink wink* to read.

I was born, raised, and enrolled in private school, all conducted in Bahasa.
At home we all speak in Bahasa.
I grow interest in English from my parents, who bought some children's English magazines and books, and teach me how to speak and read and sing in English.
3rd grade is the first time we have English lesson in Elementary school, my fave lesson !
All the time, my English has been OK. 
I mean, I can read, write, listen and speak English.
Excellent ?
NO :D
I have accents, I made grammatical and pronunciation error, but most importantly, people understand when I communicate with them.
When I made mistake, people laugh, and I happily laugh with them.

Saya cinta bahasa Indonesia











No comments: